Friday, February 12, 2010

Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup



I really amaze myself at what I consider a recipe. Then again, for someone that's never made chicken noodle soup before this might be an epiphany. Six years ago I didn't know how to make soup. I like to think I cater to the other lazy inexperienced or busy family cookers out there providing tutorials on things people with All-Clad scoff at. Hey, only so many of us can channel Martha. The rest of you get my recipes.

Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
Here's where things get interesting...

1 cooked chicken deboned and chopped*
4 large carrots chopped bite size
4 sticks of celery chopped bite size including leaves
4 tbs Chicken Boullion
4 cups water
1 lb dry uncooked wide egg noodles
1 -2 cups mixed veggies frozen is fine

Disclaimer: you can really use any veggies you want. Canned, fresh, frozen; doesn't matter. You can add as much chicken as you like. You could tear it up like I did or chop it tiny. You can use saltless boullion, add pepper or onion/garlic powder to taste. You can use extra wide noodles or orzo. This recipe is really flexible and really hard to mess up. Though if you were like me years ago, you still could. Once, I cooked artichokes for 4 hours. Boiling the whole time. They didn't survive, I haven't attempted it since. Point is, no guarantees but you really have to work at it.

Directions

Put everything but the noodles in a crockpot (a really big one, I think mine is 2 quarts, if you have a small one divide the recipe in half). Cook on low for 8 hours. Turn it back on and add the egg noodles cooking for another 10 minutes until noodles are mostly cooked. You're done. Eat your soup.

*I cook 2 chickens at once. It's just easier. Roast slathered in Lemon Butter under the skin on 350 until done, about 2 hours. I overcook stuff. I'm paranoid like that.  I pull off the darker meat for soup and casseroles and we eat the white meat as a main portion. I can get 2 meals out of the breasts for all 7 of us and still have oodles left for this. We've had it twice and there's still some left. Two chickens = $10 = 4+ meals for 7 people. I like that math. Also, it's a great way to use up all the meat and hiding the dark meat in something I like helps me to eat it. I just don't like it otherwise. Give the fatty parts to the cats and there you go, you've fed even more beings.

No comments: