Friday, March 12, 2010

Hearty Healthy Pumpkin Muffins Recipe

I read somewhere that cupcakes are just an edible utencil for eating frosting. And if that's true than muffins are edible utencils for streusel. I *heart* streusel. More than homemade frosting. I've been tweaking this recipe for a few weeks and I think I have it to the point where I can confidently share it. I've added quite a few nutrition boosters to make this delicious treat a bit healthier food option.

 Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients
1/4 cup Salted Butter
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 can of Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
2 Eggs
2 tbs Black Strap Molassas
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinamon
Pinch of All Spice
Pinch of Nutmeg
2tbs Raw Wheat Germ
2tbs freshly ground Flax Seed

Topping Ingredients (mix these all up)
2/3 cup Flour
1/4  cup Brown Sugar (or Raw Sugar)
1/2 cup Grain Mix*
1 tbs Wheat Germ
2tbs Salted Butter
*I used Bob's Redmill 5 grain oatmeal mix but you can use whatever mix or just plain non-quick cook oats

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Cream the butter and both sugars together. Mix in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Add pumpkin and everything else wet, mix for thirty seconds. Add dry and mix well. Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Add a tablespoon of topping to each and pat it down a bit to stick into the batter. Cook for 20-25 min until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool completely before removing liner. Maxkes 2 dozen muffins.

You can substitute regular molassas for the black strap and omit the flax and wheat germ if you like but those few ingredients will boost the health value of your muffins. My kids gobble these up (as do I and Rob) and the 2 dozen doesn't last but a day. Enjoy!


No comments: