Monday, January 18, 2010

Potato Zuke Bake

Quick, easy and yummy is how I like to cook. I'm not a great chef by any strech of the term. I'm a simple stay at home mom and I make simple at home food. I don't have time for bouillabaisse or reductions. Heck, I don't even know what those are! I also hate measuring. So, true to form, here is another almost recipe.

Potato Zuke Bake

Ingredients

4 medium russett potatoes
2 medium/large zucchinis*
Parmesean cheese
Romano cheese
Sharp White Cheddar cheese**
Salt/pepper to taste
1/2 stick of butter
Breadcrumbs

Instructions

-Chop up the potatoes and zucchini into 1/2" pieces (the smaller they are the quicker they cook but not too small or they'll just smoosh). Place in a large casserole dish all mixed up.

-Shred cheese over top evenly. I used about 1/2 cup total but you can use more if you like. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 5 pats of butter, one in each corner and one in the middle. Sprinkle generously with breadcrumbs and add another 4-5 pats of butter on the top.

-Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. If your potatoes aren't cooking on the top, mix them up a bit so they're on the bottom and cook another 5-10 minutes.

*I used a quart sized freezer bag I had filled with chopped zucchini from late last year when it was uber on sale. Fresh is good but you can also use the zukes straight from the freezer without defrosting.

**I picked up some really great local Amish Made Sharp Cheddar Cheese over at the Bearss Farmers Market here in Tampa. It's well priced and made in Plant City. This is part of my desire to keep small local farms in business. Besides, they make a heck of a cheese.

No comments: