Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hot Mess Sammy

I try and provide easy stuff here. Stuff that takes little work but has big reward. Recipies or projects with less fuss, low ingredient lists and beginner skill level. My life is hectic, I like good food and I have little time to do a lot of work. Sometimes I go all out but those times are few and far between. Usually, it's simple, quick and oh, it's just gotta be good.

May I please introduce you to the Hot Mess.

The only tools you have to have are a butter knife and a skillet. Though you could just rub the butter on the bread if you didn't have a knife to spare.

The ingredients are simple and can widely vary to suit your person tastes. The one I'll tute you with now is as follows:

2 slices artisan whole grain bread (or whatever you want really but I like the texture and taste it gets from toasting)
2 slices munster cheese (Boar's Head is what I get)
2 slices chicken breast (I used Everroast Boars Head)
Dukes mayo
Deli style mustard
butter

Prep: gather ingredients and preheat a skillet with a tad of butter to med/high heat.

1. Smear the butter on one side of each piece of bread, these buttered sides will go facing the skillet.

2. construct the sammy BEFORE putting it on the skillet. It'll go like this: buttered bread facing down, 1 slice of cheese, 2 meat slices, 1 cheese then squirt on mayo and mustard to your own tastes. I like more mayo, Rob likes more mustard. Add second buttered bread on top, butter facing UP.

3. Place sammy in the skillet. It should sizzle right away. I find about 40 seconds to be just about right but you'll find your own stoves temperment. Flip sammy and toast another 40 seconds on the other buttered side.

4. Eat it up.

Basically, this is a grown up grilled cheese which was what I initally called it. I like Hot Mess better because it's just a mess of stuff you want to eat packed inside hot buttered goodness. It's quick and easy and a good way to use up leftovers that might not be enough for a full meal. If you come up with your own combo I'd love to hear it! I'm always open for new recipies. Ohhh...turkey and cranberry sauce Hot Mess...mmmmm.

No comments: