Thursday, August 13, 2009

15 minute reversable head scarf tutorial





I really dig some of the pretty headscarves I see in the stores but the cheapskate in me just can't justify $5-10 (or more!) for just one. While checking out the dollar section at Target a few months back, I found packs of large ouchless hair bands. I picked up a 32 pack and an 18 pack for $1 a pack. That right there is awesome but I decided to increase the awesomeness and make headscarfs with them.

Now that I'm sporting (or trying to sport) some dreaded locks, these scarves will be handy to keep my hair down but out of my face. I made them a couple already but my girls are totally wish listing a bunch of these, pulling out fabric and putting in orders for their own scarves with matching dresses ;) Here's a quick and easy tutorial so you can feel the love

Materials
two 15x25 scraps of fabric
1 ouchless hair tie
matching thread (or not, your choice :)

Step 1: Measure your noggin (or the one the scarf will ultimately rest on) this will be measurement A

Step 2: Measure your hair tie, strech it out a little so your scarf will be snug (measurement B)

Step 3: Measure from the front where the scarf will sit to how far back you want it to end, measure down the center of your head to the back. I guesstimated for this and just did 10" I
didn't want it too long to hide my hair but long enough so it wouldn't stick straight up.

Here's the fun part, making the pattern...

Here are my measurements
Measurement A 23"
Measurement B -4"
gives me 19"
Seam Allowance +1"
gives me 20"
divide by two /2
gives me 10"

10" will be the straight front part of the pattern. Draft out your pattern to look something like this...


Step 4: Basically, it's a right triangle. Notice the bottom of the "triangle" is squared off, this is to wrap around the hair tie. Fold your fabric in half and cut out one of each fabric lining up the pattern on the end that says FOLD. This is what you should have after cutting.



Step 5: Put them right sides together and pin. Stitch 1/4" around the whole thing. leave a small 1-2" hole in one of the straight sides to turn right side out. Press and pin the opening closed then top stitch all around. I straight stitched the back sides and did a decorative stitch on the front band. I used black instead of a coordinating so the design would pop.

Step 6: Fold over the squared end with the hair tie in between and sew the heck out of it. Don't worry too much as your hair will hide the stitches but sew it good and strong so it won't pop open when you pull it on and off. Do this on the other side too.



Yeah! You're done!!

Tons of variations and a great way to use up scraps! Make one for every day of the week!

Here's mine, which was the first so not as good as the girls. This was my practice one but thought you might like to see what it looks like on a grown up :)


1 comment:

TaniasaurusRex said...

Awesome!! Thanks for posting this on craftster!! ...one more blog for me to follow when work's slow. :)
I love making headbands, but I like your twist on the headscarf!